Friday, February 12, 2010

Medical Lecture

Vitamin D
Okay, to begin this little lecture let me tell you a little more about me; I'm broken, in fact I may be more issue than person. That said, not all of my issues are bad ones. For example, I have an odd ability to recall medical-related knowledge. Looking back on my time here on earth I probably should have gone into the medical field, that being said...meh, I'm happy doing what I do. But that doesn't stop the constant influx of random sometimes useful, most times useless information into my bean (aka head). Another one of my issues is gadgetry, Lawdy do I love my toys. Give me a gizmo, a doodad, even a thingamagig and if it is well marketed, out of my way--I must have it. My beloved husband, knowing of such issues gave me for our Yule present exchange, a portable sirius satellite radio and I don't know how I've lived without it. Why? you ask--because there is Doctor Radio. Yes, that is what I said, Doctor Radio. Where every night they talk about a new medical topic. *happy snoopy dance of joy* In all honesty some nights I say, *yawn* and switch over to Raw Dog comedy or something along those lines. Sometimes, if I'm feeling nerve-y I will put it on spa radio which knocks my butt out every time. But sometimes I get sucked into Doctor Radio pretty darn hard. The other night was Vitamin D chat, and let me tell you-- WE ARE ALL DEFICIENT IN VITAMIN D AND IT IS KILLING US ALLLLLLLL!!! Okay, perhaps a tad melodramatic...but still, the premise is there. Based upon my listening here is what I gathered:
  • Fish including herring, catfish, salmon, mackeral, sardines, tuna, and eel provide some vitamin D.
  • A whole egg provides 20IU of Vitamin D.
  • Beef Liver and irradiated mushrooms will give you some...but really? ew... ;)
  • The current USDA level for adults is 400 IU of Vitamin D but that has been found to be woefully low. It will be raised eventually per every article I have now read (being the freak that I am). The NIH set the safe upper limit at 2000IU per day but acknowledges studies stating that up to 10,000 IU per day could be a safe upper limit.
  • Yes, they put vitamin D in milk. No, it's nowhere near enough.
  • What happens if you don't have enough? Well, the obvious is rickets, osteoporosis, etc. But there have been numerous studies linking our lack of vitamin D to a lot of other diseases. You are all adults--google it. :)
  • I am now taking extra supplementation of vitamin D.

Okay, lecture over. Hugs!

No comments: