Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sunday

Against all known laws of physics my roof leaked again. It has a solid sheet of metal covering it and I cringed having to tell the landlord.
Some of my things got wet--the pic is those things hanging out to dry. I know, lame picture. :)

Yesterday, my cousin got married. This is a cousin I do not know very well, but I hope she is very happy. My beloved aunt reminded me that I was the first person of my generation (in our family) to get married. Holy Crap! (I thought) She is right. So as a forerunner in this marriage game I thought I would throw out some knowledge for those of you looking into the prospect. Admittedly many of you reading this have been married MUCH longer than my paultrey 6 (almost 7. Holy Crap!) years; but mayhap these will help some of the single folks...

1. Marriage is NOT the end. For some reason, and maybe this was just me, but when I was dating I kind of thought the "goal" was marriage. Well, its not. It is the beginning of a serious long term partnership. Enjoy dating. Don't rush.

2. At some point in your marriage you will hate your spouse. With the ability to really know someone and really love them--you can easily slide into hate. It can happen when you sit in the toilet bowl (seat up) for the 374th time; or as you lie there praying for the snoring to stop. Know that those feelings will pass.

3. Try not to gossip with your friends about the horrors of your spouse. Later, when you've moved past something--they will remind you.

4. Always blame the dog when one of you farts. It keeps the romance alive.

5. Forgive their faults. Because for as many as you see in them, they have just as many percolating in their head about you.


Feel free to comment with any other marriage advice!
-Heather

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with all of these and I am only on year 2 of marriage! LOL
Sarah